Below is a document which outlines the 2018/19 books of focus in the classrooms at The Grove. This is a fluid document, which is added to and tweaked termly.
Whole texts (a range of fiction and non-fiction), poems and short-stories are used in Guided Reading sessions and English lessons through the school.
In EYFS and Year 1, children focus on Phonics to develop their fluency in Reading. Year 1 also takes part in whole-class book-talk sessions.
Upper KS1 and KS2 will both participate in daily Guided Reading sessions, which focus on the teaching and applying of the main skills of a reader.
The Skills we use in Reading
- Visualising (making pictures in your head as you read, which you add and build to as you read)
- Predicting (making a sensible guess using evidence and what you already know from prior reading)
- Summarising (condensing the text into key points and main events)
- Retrieving (looking for information in the text and bringing it back)
- Making links (making links and connections to prior reading, your own experiences and books you have read previously)
- Evaluating (identifying the author’s choice of language and text structure)
- Building inferences (finding clues in the text to back up your ideas and thoughts)
- Clarifying (making sure you have understood all the vocabulary in the text you have read)
If you would like to know more about these skills or how to help your child with their reading at home, please approach your child’s class teacher for more guidance. Alternatively, don’t hesitate to contact one of the English Team via the office for any further support.
Miss A Lee-Fox (KS1)
Miss K Dowdall (KS2)
Miss S Rattray (EYFS)